Corona Devo 1499

I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest.  ~Psalm 55:6

Do we need a rest today?  Is our mind, body, or soul tired?  Depleted?  Exhausted?

Sometimes I get to the petering-out-point, and (if you are there today--you know): everything is work.

But the funny thing was, like a virus that I didn't know I had...I wasn't even feeling worn out when I entered the weekend.  We were scheduled to leave Saturday morning for a couple of (soccer) days out of town, and we were all packed and perked to go.

But around 10 PM on Friday night, one of our kids "realized" that they had a rehearsal on Sunday that they must be present for.  ("Realized" means that this was most likely the first time that this child processed that we were leaving for the weekend and that he had a conflict, even though the plans had been in place for a while.)

And so, just like that, a weekend away for all became a weekend away for some, and I stayed home with the Sunday-responsibility son.

I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest.  ~Psalm 55:6

I thought it was going to be nice to "fly away" from home, and cooking, and laundry, and the routines, and be at rest.  But God takes care of us, no matter where our wings take us, whether home or away.

I was at rest right at home all weekend.

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; (10) for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. (11) Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.  ~Hebrews 4:9-11  

Instead of miles, and check-ins, and warm-ups and cool-downs, and more travel, the weekend held a Sabbath-rest for (this) person of God.  

God’s rest for me might look different than God’s rest for you, but there was time to bake banana breads and quiet-time to write out thank-you notes.  There was open time for a shared movie with my son on the couch, and time to grocery stop when (for once) I wasn't in a hurry.  A Hot Head Burrito gift card has been burning-a-hole in our son's-pocket, and there was time for his trip (and joy).  

There was time.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  (29) Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  (30) For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”   ~Matthew 11:28-30 

I didn't know how weary and burdened life had become until God slowed it down and gave me rest...and it was lovely.  

There was not frantic rushing, but rather quiet and trust.  When we finally laid our heads down after the day, there was deeper sleep than I have enjoyed in a while...and I know why.

 In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.  ~Psalm 4:8 

~~~

Do we need a rest today?  Is our mind, body, or soul tired?  Depleted?  Exhausted?

Whether you are at the petering-out-point, or even if you aren't feeling worn out, my prayer for us today would be: “Oh, that (you) had the wings of a dove!  (That you) would fly away and be at rest" (Psalm 55:6).

Whether that flight is to the Caribbean for a cruise or to our back porch for a snooze...

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; (10) for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. (11) Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.  ~Hebrews 4:9-11  

Instead of frenzy, and hectic, and every-hour-scheduled, I pray that we can relax and step-back today, and even allow ourselves (and schedule) to be disheveled.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  (29) Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  (30) For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”   ~Matthew 11:28-30 

If we are weary and burdened today, God's Word reminds us that we don't have to be.

~~~

Lord, turn our face (and priorities) to You today.  We strive for perfection in so many areas, but only You provide it in the area that matters most.  We trust in you today.  Amen.

You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.  ~Isaiah 26:3 

Maybe our plans will change last-minute today, or perhaps our day is plotted and will proceed as planned.

Either way, enter into the Lord's rest.  It can be found at home or away, as long as we fly to Him first.

I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest.  ~Psalm 55:6


Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991