Corona Devo 1507

What's your honest opinion about carrots?

Is it just me, or do the (old fashioned), long, full-size carrots taste better?  

Cooked or raw, shredded for carrot-raisin salad, or cut into thick coins for chicken noodle soup...the full-sized carrots have more flavor and they taste better.  ...Like a real carrot.

In fact, I do not even think mini-carrots have flavor (in my opinion).  

They are cute, yes.  They are already cleaned, yes.  They are available and easy, yes.  They are easy to dump onto a relish tray when I make my mom's dill dip, yes.  

But taste good?  No.  I'm sorry...baby carrots have no taste compared to a full size carrot.

It takes me a few minutes to peel and cut the full-sized carrots, I'll admit.  And my fingertips often don a slight orange-tint for a few hours after a chopping session.  But the taste makes it all worth it.  There is a deeper, richer, more tastier taste with full size carrots.

This is my opinion about full-size carrots versus mini-carrots.

This is also my opinion about The Bible versus anything else.  

I have many (beautiful!) devotionals, and I am blessed whenever I read them.  

I enjoy Bible study books and workbooks, and they produce growth and Godly perspective within me.

I love (and am moved) when I listen to worship music with verses and hymns embedded in the lyrics.

Our family enjoys Christian movies and there's even a Biblical series that we watch and it almost transports you back into the Bible.

Almost.

But there's nothing quite like the real thing.  The original manuscript, the full-sized version, straight from God's holy lips and inspiration: I hope it's not just me, but I believe that reading the Bible for ourselves is just better.

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.  ~Joshua 1:8

If we don't read the Bible (this Book of the Law) for ourselves, then how can we be careful to do everything written in it...and also, how can we KNOW when others might be telling us to do/believe/accept things that are NOT in it?   Or that God does not accept?  

Simply put: we must know God's Word (The Bible) to live God's Word.

~~~

Yes, it may take some extra time (and work) to sit down and chew on God's Word in raw form.  There are things in the Bible that can be hard to understand.  There are also things in the Bible that can be hard to swallow.  But God knows us, and He tailors His teachings to our days.  He will use the Bible to comfort us, teach us, correct us and to train us in His righteousness.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness...  ~2 Timothy 3:16

~~~

The Bible (straight from the Bible) is worth it.  

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.  ~Romans 15:4

Reading the Bible on our own draws us near to our Father, and in communing with Him and His Word, we establish an intimacy with Him, and in knowing His ways that no second-hand study or devotional can replicate.  We get to know our Father and His heart for us and others through reading His Word.  

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.  ~Psalm 119:1

~~~

What's our honest opinion about the Bible?  Does the word of Christ dwell in you richly?

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.  ~Colossians 3:16

~~~

Is glancing at a "Verse of the Day" email easier to digest than getting quiet with ourself, and God, and the Bible?  Yes.

Is it relatable and often educating to read/listen/learn what other people have learned and gleened from God's Word?  Sure.

Is there anything wrong with supplementing our study of the Bible with other mediums?  No.

But do we receive/invite/enjoy and incur the full communion/teaching/discipline/growth/blessing/and favor of God without reading His Word for ourselves?

No.  I'm sorry...there is no comparison.  The Bible (directly) makes it all worth it.  There is a deeper, richer, more satisfying connection to Christ and the Father when we read the Bible for ourselves.

Don't shortcut yourself or your faith today.  Go for the full flavor of God!

But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”  ~Matthew 4:4


Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991