Corona Devo 136

I am not a math person.  Numbers have never been black and white to me, more of a gray area that I never really grasped well.

But I am a Jesus person.  I love Him!  I love what He did for us, and that He loves us, even though the math doesn't work out.  After all of our screw-ups in life and saying the wrong thing, and (God knows) we have done the wrong things: Still, He says to us with unconditional love in His voice: I have loved you with an everlasting love." (Jeremiah 31:3). 

But coming back to the numbers, I feel lately as if Christ-followers are in the minority.  Perhaps it's because we can no longer meet in large groups, so it just feels like there are fewer of us.   But in relation to the media news and the conversations that I have with friends, family, and acquaintances verbally and on social media: I do not sense Jesus being a critical part of people's daily lives or heartbeat of their actions right now.  I feel that we are down in (Jesus) numbers.

But regardless of whether that is true or just perceived, let those who are WITH Jesus persevere for the Lord in our days and in our faith-walks with Him. With fewer Christ-followers surrounding (and joining) us, it will mean that we will begin to feel the fire of worldly pressures even more strongly, but the heat will refine us if we stand with Christ.  We can (and must!) remain firm and stoic on God's word and His direction in our lives.  It will probably get uncomfortable.  Following Jesus has always caused people to stand-out from the crowds, but the reward of being faithful to the Lord is immeasurable.  And when we Draw near to God, He will draw near to you. (James 4:8).

Note: I am NOT proclaiming deaths, or interpreting the following verses literally in terms of the numbers and percentages mentioned of people living and dying.  But I am very much applying them emotionally and figuratively to us, as the 1/3 left in the land portion.

People feel lost, and many don't know the Lord.  Many more are walking away from the Lord due to estrangement with their churches, fractioning as a result of differing "Christian" opinions related to Corona, depression, and just plain isolation.  Life is hard.  Life during Corona has made it harder.
Our numbers as Christ-followers may be dwindling at a time when people need the love and hope of our Savior more than ever.  And if we do not feel heat from the world and it's flaming views yet, we will.

But in conjunction with this fiery truth of trials that we will feel as believers, God also provides reassurance that we don't walk through the fires of the world alone.  He will bring us through them, and we will be better for it.  I pray that we will glorify Him as we walk through the fires.

Two-thirds of the people in the land 
will be cut off and die,” says the Lord.
    “But one-third will be left in the land.  I will bring that group through the fire
    and make them pure. I will refine them like silver and purify them like gold.
They will call on my name, and I will answer them.
I will say, ‘These are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is our God.’”  ~Zechariah 13:8-9

Let's not get caught up in the numbers (I told you I am not a numbers person), but PLEASE get caught up in God's promises to His people (us!) within these verses:
I will bring that group through the fire...
I will...make them pure.
I will refine them like silver and purify them like gold.

Take heart!  We can have hope!  Yes, there are difficult times in our lives.  We have come through hard things before.  But we will also press on and come through today's (and tomorrow's) challenges with God's hand upon us.

And like heat removes the impurities of silver and gold, the trials of life test us, but also purify us if we partner with Christ during the strain.  In the challenge and the vulnerability of hardship, we are brought nearer to our Savior as we rely on Him.  It's often when we have nowhere else to turn, that we finally let down our guard and stop living the lie that we can do-it-all-ourselves.  It is here that we actually experience God and all that HE can do.  

They will call on my name, and I will answer them.
I will say, ‘These are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is our God.’”  ~Zechariah 13:9

What are we waiting for?  
The "fires" in our minds, lives, and Nation have flared up enough.  Let's call on God's name.  Even though the math of us deserving Him doesn't add up, He is still the answer, and He also promises that He will answer us (I will answer them).  

I will say, ‘These are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is our God.’”  ~Zechariah 13:9
We are His people.  He is our God.  
That is an equation that I can grasp.  

Today, I pray that we keep God in our equation and that we can be in the 1/3 that He is bringing through the fire.

Blessings,
sarah




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991