Corona Devo 1153

I'm ashamed to admit that when I was younger, I used to read my horoscope daily.  I would look forward to opening the newspaper and "finding out what kind of day I was going to have".  

Thankfully, I have matured in my wisdom and my relationship to the Bible and with Jesus Christ enough to know that depending on a horoscope to define my day is malarkey!

I'm embarrassed that I ever looked to such nonsense to try and make sense of my days and my life.

But I am not embarrassed to admit that now I read something besides the newspaper daily to find out what kind of day I am going to have, and it is anything but nonsense.  It's The Bible.

And if I didn't know better (and know Jesus), I might call it many things (uncanny, ironic, amazing), but with Jesus, I know that the direction, comfort and hope that I find daily in the pages of the Bible is God's authority over my life and His intimate knowledge of me and my daily happenings.  

I look forward to opening the Bible each day and allowing it to define, deconstruct, and discipline my day......day after day after day.

Sometimes the Bible (and God through His Word) holds us.  Do we need held today?  In our pain or brokenness, God comforts: 

I lift my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  ~Psalm 121:1-2

 “For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  ~Jeremiah 29:11

~~~

Sometimes God uses the Bible to spur-us-on, to encourage us, and to stoke-our-fire for serving Him and following Him.  Do we need strengthened in order to serve Him today?

And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, (25) not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.  ~Hebrews 10:24-25

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.”  ~2 Timothy 1:7  

~~~

Sometimes the Bible reminds us to rest, to rejoice, and to make music unto Him and in worship to Him.  Do we (or should we) have a concert to attend, or is it time for us to worship God with voice or instrument today?

On the day this week that one of our kids had an orchestra concert...these were the verses God gave me when I opened the Bible that morning to "find out what kind of day I was going to have":

(1) Let the godly sing for joy to the Lordit is fitting for the pure to praise him.  (2) Praise the Lord with melodies on the lyre; make music for him on the ten-stringed harp.  (3) Sing a new song of praise to him;  play skillfully on the harp, and sing with joy.  (4) For the word of the Lord holds true, and we can trust everything he does.  (5) He loves whatever is just and good; the unfailing love of the Lord fills the earth.  ~Psalm 33:1-5

~~~

At first glance, and certainly at only a surface-level-reading, Bible verses and accounts might not appear to "fit" our situations.  But sit still a little longer.  Dig down a little deeper.  Allow God to penetrate our hearts and minds and lives with the live-wire that is His Word.  

If we will give it the chance, it will electrocute our days, our lives, and our spirits with comfort, hope, encouragement, love and discipline.  The Bible ain't dead or outdated...it's alive, and it's telling us in detail what kind of day we will have today.   

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.( 13) Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.  

(14) So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe.  ~Hebrews 4:12-14

~~~

Don't be embarrassed if you're still reading the horoscopes, but for goodness sake, for God's sake, and for our own (spiritual-growth) sake--read the Bible today.  It will change our life, and help us make sense of our days and ourselves.

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991