Corona Devo 192

Sometimes we have to agree to disagree.  

Sometimes in life, we can perform above average, go the extra mile and give 'till it hurts, but there can still be someone standing in our way (physically or emotionally) of crossing the finish line.  Not only do they try and block our way, but they may even attempt to claim the credit for us getting to that point.

How in the world do we handle those kind of people in our lives?  I think we get a solid example from Jacob in the Book of Genesis: Sometimes we have to agree to disagree.  

Jacob had worked for Laban for twenty years.  Jacob was married to 2 of Laban's daughter's (approved behavior in their day), and Jacob had lots of kids and his flocks had increased mightily because God's favor was on him.  

Whether jealousy or spite, Laban's mood and favor toward Jacob had taken a turn, and Jacob knew it was time to move on.  He chatted with his wives, who had noticed the treatment that their dad was giving Jacob, and they agreed that it was time to find some land of their own.  They packed all their kids and animals and left.  

Three days later, Laban was told that Jacob had fled. 23 So he gathered a group of his relatives and set out in hot pursuit... 24 But the previous night God had appeared to Laban the Aramean in a dream and told him, “I’m warning you—leave Jacob alone!”  ~Genesis 31:22-24

Can't you just picture Laban and his entourage in "hot pursuit" of Jacob?  But what I can't picture is getting a message from God to leave Jacob alone, and still continuing to pursue Jacob.  Know anyone like this?  They don't take a hint from anyone (even the Lord)?   Lord, please allow us to be open when you speak to our hearts. 

25 Laban caught up with Jacob... 26 “What do you mean by deceiving me like this?” Laban demanded. “How dare you drag my daughters away like prisoners of war? 27 Why did you slip away secretly? Why did you deceive me? And why didn’t you say you wanted to leave?... ~Genesis 31:25-27

Jacob explained that he was afraid that Laban wouldn't let his daughters leave, but then Laban accused Jacob of stealing some things (which Jacob had not).

36 Then Jacob became very angry, and he challenged Laban. “What’s my crime?” he demanded. “What have I done wrong to make you chase after me as though I were a criminal?...38 “For twenty years I have been with you, caring for your flocks. In all that time your sheep and goats never miscarried. In all those years I never used a single ram of yours for food. 39 If any were attacked and killed by wild animals, I never showed you the carcass and asked you to reduce the count of your flock. No, I took the loss myself! You made me pay for every stolen animal, whether it was taken in broad daylight or in the dark of night.

40 “I worked for you through the scorching heat of the day and through cold and sleepless nights. 41 Yes, for twenty years I slaved in your house! I worked for fourteen years earning your two daughters, and then six more years for your flock. And you changed my wages ten times! 42 In fact, if the God of my father had not been on my side—the God of Abraham and the fearsome God of Isaac—you would have sent me away empty-handed. But God has seen your abuse and my hard work. That is why he appeared to you last night and rebuked you!” ~Genesis 31:36, 38-42

Wow!  Jacob had a lot to say, and he had earned the right to say it.  Sometimes we have those moments in life too, don't we?  We have worked hard, or given much, and yet accusations fly at us.  More is requested.  No credit is given.  

Jacob had accomplished all of those things, and he gave God the credit for blessing him.  But Laban would not see it.  Sometimes we have to agree to disagree.  

43 Then Laban replied to Jacob, “These women are my daughters, these children are my grandchildren, and these flocks are my flocks—in fact, everything you see is mine. But what can I do now about my daughters and their children? 44 So come, let’s make a covenant, you and I, and it will be a witness to our commitment.”  ~Genesis 31:43-44

This just hit me so hard.  Because I want things to work out.  To be fair.  To make sense.  But sometimes they just don't, and we have to accept that.  Jacob wasn't perfect, but he was living for the Lord.  Us too.  He had earned much from Laban, but Laban still credited himself with all of Jacob's merits.  It makes me want to scream.  And don't we all have a Laban in our lives?

But Jacob didn't scream.  He did not continue to argue or prove his point.  Jacob realized who he was dealing with, and Laban's don't change.  Sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

And so, that is what they did.  Laban and Jacob a covenant, an agreement to go their separate ways and leave each other alone.   Sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

It is such a simple lesson, but it is profound to me.  Some of our deepest issues and broken relationships in life are because we won't let things (or people) go.  

Today, let's walk a few steps in Jacob's shoes:  Sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991