Corona Devo 228

The other night, as I was double-checking kids tucked in bed, and flipping off lights in empty rooms, I heard something before I could locate it.  Outside in the dark, there were continual chirps echoing around our yard and woods.  At first listen, one might think a bird had confused dark with day.  But I knew that it was a peeper frog.  Not because I am intelligent about amphibians, but because of Mr. Taylor, a high school biology teacher that went far beyond just teaching and invested in any student willing to step outdoors with him.  

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus...Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. 24 Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ. ~Colossians 3:17, 23-24

And sure enough, when I looked out the back, there was a peeper frog stretched-out and clinging to our glass door.  I smiled as I remembered Mr. Taylor, who invested his Saturday mornings on hikes with immature high schoolers and who willingly devoted a weekend each Fall and Spring at a State Park with a bunch of crazy teens in cabins who had a half-hearted interest in the outdoors, and a whole-hearted interest in adventure.  Mr. Taylor made frogs fun, he made Queen-Anne's Lace interesting, and he built-into hundreds of students, giving them an awareness and love for the outdoors.  His gifts were teaching, science, and relating to kids, and he used his days, weekends, and his life to make a positive impression in all of those areas. We are called to do the same.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus...Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. 24 Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ. ~Colossians 3:17, 23-24

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of my best friend's husband is the head soccer coach at a local college.  Over 15 years ago I worked there too.  I remember recruitment challenges, meetings and worries about enrollment.  I also remember working hard, working late, doing research and writing a proposal with a couple others for adding athletics, and presenting it to the college president and the board.  This was not my initiative alone, but I remember my fire for it, and the reward in my heart when the initiative was passed.  

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus...Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. 24 Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ. ~Colossians 3:17, 23-24

I'm sure my friend's husband could have coached many places, but it blesses me spiritually to remember working hard for the Lord in my assigned job (at-the-time), and seeing the inheritance of those efforts years down the road (now). 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Parenting is an exhausting and thankless job.  Teaching right from wrong, Biblical values and a work-ethic is very repetitive and the results are almost invisible sometimes.  Corona "homeschooling" stretched me almost beyond my limits and the truth is, I had to do very little, because the teachers and my kids were amazing.  But, I still have fresh appreciation for my neighbor who has homeschooled her children for over 6 years.  I always gave her credit, but after my brief "homeschooling" adventure, I now give her extra-credit!  I know that she, like many of us parents wonder when results will come from the work that she willingly does in the name of the Lord Jesus.  But when I read the homemade birthday card her daughter gave mine the other day, I saw the inheritance as (her) reward "Happy Birthday.  May God bless you today and every day.  May He bring hope to you in your darkest times."

Really?  From a 10 year-year old?  That kind of beautiful sentiment comes from somewhere, and I pray my friend reaps it as her inheritance and that she will be encouraged in her parenting and homeschooling as she continues to work for the Lord.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hearing the peeper (and knowing what it was), learning that my friend's husband was the inaugural soccer coach, and seeing the sweet handwriting of a little girl writing with the voice of Christ are just three little examples of ways that people can make a difference in others' lives by do(ing) all (that we do) in the name of the Lord Jesus.  We can make a difference today.  

It's not about us, but because of Christ.  What we do today matters.  Our work ethic, how we raise our children, what we do when the boss is not looking matters.  Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus. (Colossians 3:17).

Mr. Taylor is on an eternal hike with Jesus now, but I pray that over the years, and as students came and went, he felt in his heart the beauty of the influence that he had on so many of us.  And that he is still having as I pass his anecdotes about peepers and plants to my kids.  That inheritance is a reward.

You have made a difference in many ways, I am sure.  And today is a brand new opportunity.  Whatever is on our docket: let's get to it as if we are working for the Lord Jesus...because we are!

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991