Corona Devo 229

I enjoy couponing.  If time allows, it is well-worth-it to me to clip coupons from the weekly papers in order to save a few pennies, which add up to dollars.  Fiscally, it stretches my grocery allowance and spiritually it feels like being a good steward.  I have a friend whose dad used to say that we were "stealing" from the grocery stores when we got really good deals with our coupons.  He was teasing, but even in jest, I totally disagreed.  I wouldn't coupon if I felt that it was in any way wrong--but on the contrary, I see it as a reward for being prudent.

But you or I might know someone that takes the short-cuts in life just to purposefully pull out right in front of us.  They spend much time and effort spinning things their way, and if they were to clip coupons, their motive might be to "get something for nothing".  

People like this can "burn our biscuit" if you will.  "Get under our skin" and "rain on our parade", even if we are Christ-followers marching in God's parade.  Sometimes "short-cutters" can even cause us to question the importance of integrity in our lives, or the meaning and result of it.  Does "doing right" matter?  And does God see them, and also see me?   Recently after an exasperating conversation with a short-cutter, and in a moment of thinking that life isn't fair, I questioned myself: "Shouldn't life be easier?"   

Jesus says, "No."

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? 27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds. ~Matthew 16:24-27

Jesus gives us a disciplinary talking-to here, but also wraps us in a blanket of His wisdom as well.  

First of all, He is right (of course!): Wanting life and people to be fair and honest, is my way.  I want things to make sense to me, and to work out fairly for me, but Jesus reminds us of the path of a Jesus-seeker.  We have chosen to follow His path and not our own.  We have to give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me.

I am realizing afresh that "our cross" will materialize as a different situation or person in each of our lives.  The cross that I must "take up" will be different than the one you must "take up".  But for each of us, it will be a burden to bear, and Christ commands us to take it up.  The unfairness, the hurt, the selfishness of another, the injustice: Jesus says to take it up, and follow Him.  

We have to keeping walking, following Him, seeking Him, one step at a time, even in the moments and on the days when our "cross" is crippling us physically or emotionally.  Today, for those of us that need a word of encouragement or a whisper of direction, Jesus reminds us to follow me.

The justice, fairness, and sometimes even civility that we are seeking (in a situation or from a person) will possibly never come.  And I think that is one of the reasons Jesus says: If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. ~Matthew 16:25.  For today, I am hearing Jesus give some of us tough-love in saying "let go".  We are trying to hang on to a worldly fight, argument, or injustice that is really not worth our efforts.  It is sapping our strength and joy.  God has a bigger plan for our emotional energy today, and it has nothing to do with the situation/person that is sucking life from us.  

But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.  ~Matthew 16:25

Today, let's be willing to give up our life (our intentions, our prerogatives, our desires) for Christ's sake.  We can submit to adopting and living for His ways, thus giving up ours.  And today, that may mean giving up the situation/person that is nagging us.  Let it go (give it up for Christ's sake).  And what will doing so do for our life (day, attitude, sanity?): it will save it. 

I think we should say "Yes" to that deal.  

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? ~Matthew 16:26

We are not usually out to gain the whole world, are we?  But I definitely fall-prey to wanting to win fairness or justice over certain situations or people in my life.  God reminds us today to let it go.  What if we did win the argument/the situation/the person, but the pursuit of it costs us our joy, our peace, our clear-mindedness?  That's a thumb-print picture of gain(ing) the whole world but los(ing) your own soul.  We don't really gain anything of value, and the losses are ours, not anyone elses.

Nothing is worth more than our pursuit of Jesus.  If we can keep our eyes on Him just for today, or just for this minute, He will carry us into the next minute or the next day, and if we are locked into following Him, then the rest will work itself out.  

And by the way, Jesus reminds us that it is not "our job" to work things out/demand fairness in life/ hold others accountable.  For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds. ~Matthew 16:27

Jesus has judgement covered, and the day will come when we will be grateful that we gave up our life (desires/motives/satisfaction) for His sake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I still enjoy couponing and "stretching a dollar", but if we have a person or situation in our lives today that is "stretching us", or purposely stealing our joy or sanity, then their intentions are impure, and we can step out of their way.  "Hanging on to it" will cause us loss, and God has bigger plans for us today.

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? 27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds. ~Matthew 16:24-27

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991