Corona Devo 260

Be thankful today that we do not live in the days of the Biblical Book of Exodus.  It's nice to worship and pray to God in clean, non-bloody ways.

But for Moses'brother, Aaron, who took on pastor/priest duties for the Israelites, there were specific worship rituals ordained by God, and they were messy.  Don't get me wrong: the steps had Divine significance, as there must be a price/sacrifice paid for our sin.  But be grateful that our current sacrifices to God do not (still) look like this:

10 “Bring the young bull to the entrance of the Tabernacle... 11 Then slaughter the bull in the Lord’s presence at the entrance of the Tabernacle. 12 Put some of its blood on the horns of the altar with your finger, and pour out the rest at the base of the altar. 13 Take all the fat around the internal organs, the long lobe of the liver, and the two kidneys and the fat around them, and burn it all on the altar...   ~Exodus 29:10-13

Okay, then.  A bit graphic isn't it?  Now that is a sacrifice, and that is just one of many described for the priests to carry out.  

We can be thankful that we do not need to bring (and chop up!) a bull, lamb, ram or pigeon to church as a sacrifice to pay for our sins.  Jesus was slaughtered on the cross to pay that price for us.  It was more than a bit graphic, and He was the ultimate sacrifice.  

But fast-forward to today.  It is still a requirement for us to sacrifice our hearts daily to God.  And the instructions given to the Israelites outline our routine as well.

42 “These burnt offerings are to be made each day from generation to generation. Offer them in the Lord’s presence at the Tabernacle entrance...  ~Exodus 29:42

Each day we absolutely have "burnt offerings" to lay before the Lord.  When we get quiet before God in the Lord’s presence at the Tabernacle entrance, which may be in our car on the drive to work, at the kitchen table before the sun rises, or at night before our head hits the pillow: when we stop and are still to talk to God: we are in the Lord’s presence at the Tabernacle entrance.  

Our burnt offerings fluctuate day-to-day, but today I sacrifice my pride over situations, my desire for control, my expectations and my impatience.  Lord, I lay down my critical spirit, mt fear and my worries.  Whatever burnt offerings we sacrifice to the Lord, feel the relief and burden lift as we lay them down and claim the Lord's dominion over us.  

And then what?  What happens next after we confess and lay our sin and burnt offerings before the Lord?  Then God meets with us.

...there I will meet with you and speak with you.  43 I will meet the people of Israel there, in the place made holy by my glorious presence. 44 Yes, I will consecrate the Tabernacle and the altar, and I will consecrate Aaron and his sons to serve me as priests.  ~Exodus 29:42-44

My God, You are with us.  When we come before You in honesty and with repentant hearts: You meet with us.  You speak life and hope and direction into us.  The "quiet place" where we read Your Word or pray (or praise!) is made holy by (Your) glorious presence.  You are here.

And you will stay here with us: I will consecrate Aaron and his sons to serve me as priests.  We are the sons and daughters of Aaron.  We are Your descendants, Lord, and we are blessed to be in your family line and to take up the responsibility and privilege of serv(ing) You as priests.

45 Then I will live among the people of Israel and be their God, 46 and they will know that I am the Lord their God.  ~Exodus 29:45-46

Lord, You live among Your people, and You live among me.  Your promise of being with us is clear, and we claim it today.  

Regardless of what or who comes at us today: I will...be their God... (46) and they will know that I am the Lord their God. ~Exodus 29:45-46

When emotions flare: I will...be their God... (46) and they will know that I am the Lord their God. ~Exodus 29:45-46

When we are wronged/cheated//hurt:  I will...be their God... (46) and they will know that I am the Lord their God. ~Exodus 29:45-46


I am the one who brought them out of the land of Egypt so that I could live among them. I am the Lord their God.  ~Exodus 29:46

The struggles we battle today are often the ones we said we would give to God yesterday.  Lord, You will bring us out of our land of Egypt--whatever or whoever is holding us captive.  Indeed You have already brought us out.  Your name is Hope and Redemption.  We must daily keep walking toward You, sacrificing our sin and walking away from the things that hold us captive.  You have already brought us out, and You live among us, Lord.  

Today, we are thankful for You and Who You are, Lord: I am the Lord their God. ~Exodus 29:46

Blessings,
sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991