Corona Devo 384

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” (37) He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled.  (38) Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.  Stay here and keep watch with me.”  ~Matthew 26:36-38

Jesus said that his soul (was) overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.

Why?  

What made Him so sad?

Me.

My sin.  My lies.  My lust.  My pride.  My self-righteousness.  My materialism.  My slander.  My idols.

Lord, You had to take on MY sin at the cross, and You had to take on all of it.  It made you sad.  More than that, it caused Your soul to be overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.  Please forgive me for not being more daily-aware of what You did for me on Good Friday.  

Where is our realization/ownership/admittance of our sin? 

Instead of being coherent of Christ's ultimate sacrifice for us, we are flippant with our sin.  We wink it away.  We feel triumphant at "zinging" someone or "beating" the system.  We boast in our folly, attempting to fit in and please the world.  

But we cannot pretend our sin and the cost of it away.  We can ignore and rationalize it a lot of the time.  And we do.

But a true awareness of Christ's death on the cross can only settle over our minds and hearts when we accept the driving force that brought Him there...us and our sin. 

...he began to be sorrowful and troubled.  (38) Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.  Stay here and keep watch with me.”  ~Matthew 26:37-38

We don't usually ruminate on the cause of Christ's journey to the cross, we prefer to skip to His empty tomb and Easter baskets filled with marshmallow chicks and chocolate bunnies.  But to skip over our sin and what Jesus did to cleanse us of it is to skip over the meaning of Easter.  

These verses were my reminder how of Jesus felt as He mentally, spiritually and emotionally approached the cross, which occurred before He physically approached and was nailed to it.  The pain began before the nails came.  ...he began to be sorrowful and troubled.  (38) Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.  Stay here and keep watch with me.”  ~Matthew 26:36-38

Gracious Lord, as we approach the cross this week and always, allow us to "own" the responsibility that is rightfully ours.  Our sin "overwhelmed" Jesus and then brought Him death on the cross.  But through that death He gave us life.  It's a crazy, tortuous, wonderful, unbelievable story, and You wrote it out of love for us. 

Today, help us to "keep watch" over our sin.  Guard our hearts and allow us to "keep watch" to avoid entering into sinful situations/conversations/posts/thoughts and texts.   Let us be coherent, and not flippant about our sin.  You invite us and we accept to Stay here and keep watch with me” (Matthew 26:38).  

Amen.

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991