Corona Devo 385

I can't help it (and nor do I want to).  Every year at this time the Scriptures beckon me to retrace the last steps of Jesus alongside of Him, connecting-the-dots and relating them to my walk with Him.  His time with the disciples, the Last Supper, prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane, His questioning by the authorities, the taunting and physical abuse, the crucifixion....AND THE RESURRECTION.

This story never gets old to me.  And the cycle of personal guilt, undeserved salvation and joy never gets old either.  There is a pain and pleasure in trekking through it at Eastertide, and I love both sides.  We cannot have one without the other.  

And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.”

(22) They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely you don’t mean me, Lord?”

(23) Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. (24) The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” ~Matthew 26:21-24

Woe to us, Lord!  We betray You in our words, in our thoughts and in our actions at times.  We strive to do well, but...we fall to sin. 

We have each dipped our hand into the bowl of Your saving grace and yet we still choose sin in our anger, or in our impatience, or in our pride.  Woe to us, Lord and forgive us, Lord.  

(25) Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”  

Jesus answered, “You have said so.”

(26) While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”  (27) Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. (28) This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. (29) I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”  

(30) When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

(31) Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me for it is written: “‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’"  ~ ~Matthew 26:21-31   ~Matthew 26:21-31

Lord, forgive us for falling away and scattering from You.  When fear/intimidation/anxiety/ or depression comes over us...forgive us for falling away and falling into our own thinking instead of Your Truth.  Lord, forgive our mental battles which scatter us from You.  Forgive us for our earthly desire to please people, which causes us to fall away from You and be scattered Scattered in our thinking, scattered in our walks of faith, and scattered in our loyalty and devotion to You.  Draw us back to You today, Heavenly Father.

...for it is written: “‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’"  ~ ~Matthew 26:31

I hate that You were struck, Jesus.  I abhor what You went through out of love for us.  You were struck (repeatedly).  And crucified.  And we (the disciples, your followers, your family of the day) scattered.  Forgive us, Lord.

(32) But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”  ~Matthew 26:32

"after I have risen"

Lord, You have always known the whole story, and the ending makes the rest worthwhile.  

You are omniscient (all-knowing).  You created us.  You came and lived among us.  But even the disciples didn't "get" the fullness of You as You walked among them.  You felt the betrayal of the crucifixion, not just from the angle of Judas but also from the betrayal angle of our sin.  The physical pain on Good Friday was 100% realtime for You.  But...

"But after I have risen...”  ~Matthew 26:32

In the same breath that You correctly forecasted the disciples (and us, "the sheep of your flock") scattering--You breathed life into us with the truth of Your coming resurrection, and us being a part of it.  

But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”  ~Matthew 26:32

Almighty Jesus, You spoke of Your resurrection before You died.  The power of that and in that is the story of Easter.

You left Your reign on High to be born in a lowly manger and grow up among real people who loved You but let You down, and in the end they fell away and scattered from You.  But Your plan included this and went-beyond our human limits, expanding into Your Unlimited Love on the cross and the unbelievable, unexplainable, never-duplicated Resurrection, which You proclaimed plainly before you died.  

This story never gets old to me.  And the cycle of personal guilt, undeserved salvation and joy never gets old either.  There is a pain and pleasure in trekking through it at Eastertide, and I love both sides.  We cannot have one without the other.  

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991