Corona Devo 598

How old do we have to be to serve the Lord?

For many of us, "serving the Lord" seems like something that elders might do. Older people with boring clothes and that prefer organ music. Yes, serving the Lord sounds regal, very important, and anything but elementary. Serving the Lord is most likely not to be fulfilled by those that have not yet reached physical or emotional maturity (like children) ...for how could they (as boys and girls) be showing any measure of spiritual maturity?

But apparently, it could happen. For instance, it did happen with Samuel. (But Samuel, though he was only a boy, served the Lord. ~I Samuel 2:18)

Do you know Samuel? His mom (Hannah) wanted a baby in the worst way, and she went through much emotional suffering (and even teasing) because she was barren. Then she had an experience at church, when she was in deep anguish, crying bitterly as she prayed to the Lord. (11) And she made this vow: “O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, if you will look upon my sorrow and answer my prayer and give me a son, then I will give him back to you. He will be yours for his entire lifetime, and as a sign that he has been dedicated to the Lord, his hair will never be cut.” ~I Samuel 1:10-11

Many of us have cried out in similar ways for heartbreaking requests in our lives (and possibly for the same request that Hannah presented). Why some prayers are "answered" and some go unresolved is not for me to say, but I do know that the Lord hears our cries and His ways are best, whether we understand them or not.

In Hannah's case, the Lord remembered her plea, (20) and in due time she gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, for she said, “I asked the Lord for him.” (I Samuel 1:19-20).

And God was not the only one who remembered...

Hannah had made a vow to God during her prayers for a child, and the time soon came for her to give him back to the Lord (I Samuel 1:11).

The next year... (24) When the child was weaned, Hannah took him to the Tabernacle in Shiloh. (25) After sacrificing...they brought the boy to Eli (the priest). (26) “Sir, do you remember me?” Hannah asked. “I am the very woman who stood here several years ago praying to the Lord. (27) I asked the Lord to give me this boy, and he has granted my request. (28) Now I am giving him to the Lord, and he will belong to the Lord his whole life.” And they worshiped the Lord there.  ~I Samuel 1:21, 24-28

It's quite a dramatic start to young Samuel's life, isn't it? He truly was almost "conceived" in prayer. (FYI: Hannah had a husband named Elkanah and they "had" Samuel the "old fashioned" way, but Hannah's heart in desiring a baby boy was directly connected to her desire in serving the Lord, so much so that she dedicated Samuel to God even before he was born.)

One (initial) point that I take in from this Bible passage is the strength of prayers for children, even before they are born. And not just our children, but others too. If we had parents that were committed to the Lord in prayer for us, then we started off in this world at an advantage.

And if we uphold our "children" (relate this term however it might apply to to you today: actual young people/young people in their faith/anyone that we can have an impact-on for Christ) in prayer, then we give them a preventative spiritual suit of armor and protection to face the world in.

Now I am giving him to the Lord, and he will belong to the Lord his whole life. ~I Samuel 1:28

May we be parents/coaches/family members/friends that dedicate our "children" (grandkids/nieces/nephews/neighbor's kids) to the Lord. Hannah teaches us a few things: she did not smother Samuel, or hover-over him, or fight-his-battles. Hannah gave her son Samuel to the Lord. She prayed, and believed that he will belong to the Lord his whole life. And he did.

Does that seem powerful (and simple), and brave to anyone else? This is my prayer for my children, and yours, and all children. That we would give them to the Lord, and that they will belong to the Lord their whole life.

And Samuel did serve the Lord. Even from a young age. Do we expect this from kids? Do we see this in young people? Hannah gave him to the Lord, and he...belonged to the Lord his whole life (I Samuel 1:28). There can be no magic-potion for raising Godly children, but Hannah (prayerfully) gave Samuel the most beneficial start she could.

And so he grew, from baby to toddler and from toddler to boy, living at the (church) temple and absorbing God's ways.

But Samuel, though he was only a boy, served the Lord. …  (21) ...Meanwhile, Samuel grew up in the presence of the Lord.  ~I Samuel 2:18, 21

These verses choke me up as a parent. Though he was only a boy, (Samuel) served the Lord.

Samuel was special. Samuel was called by God to serve Him.

The exact same things are true for you and me and for every child we know.

But was there prayer involved?

Can there be prayer involved?

Will we choose today to be prayerful for young ones (in age and in faith) so that they might grow up in the presence of the Lord (I Samuel 2:21)?

It matters. Ask Hannah. And...ask Samuel.

O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, if you will look upon my...my prayer and give me a "son"/"daughter", then I will give them back to you. They will be yours for their entire lifetime...” (I Samuel 1:10-11). Amen.

How old do we have to be to serve the Lord?

You're never too young!


Blessings, 

sarah     

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991