Corona Devo 685

If you have ever had the privilege of serving on missions in a third-world country or in Appalachia America, then you "know the feeling".

And oppositely--but equally--if you have vacationed or cruised in a tropical but (in places) impoverished land, then you also "know the feeling"...

The feeling of self-riches. The humility and (even) guilt of "having", when faced with those who "have not".

It moves us and our hearts.

David came from humble beginnings. He once tended sheep and did battle with wild animals for their safety. But God called him out of that and into a different "service" for Him. That of doing battle with armies and enemies of God, and because of David's leadership and obedience to God, many came to follow and believe in him and his God (our God!).

After many (emotional/physical/spiritual) battles and victories in God's name, King David was settled in his palace and the Lord had given him rest from all the surrounding enemies. (2 Samuel 7:1).

In the peace, he surveyed himself and his house. He now found himself King of the Israelites and living in a beautiful cedar palace. (2 Samuel 7:2).

But in reviewing the opulence of his palace, David got that feeling. The feeling of self-riches. The humility and (even) guilt of "having"...and his thoughts went to the Lord.

It moved him and his heart.

(2) the king summoned Nathan the prophet. “Look,” David said, “I am living in a beautiful cedar palace, but the Ark of God is out there in a tent!”

(3) Nathan replied to the king, “Go ahead and do whatever you have in mind, for the Lord is with you.”

David was in (good intentioned) pursuit to honor God with a "palace" (because he realized that he was living in luxury while the Tabernacle of the Lord was (and had always been) a portable sanctuary constructed by Moses as a place of worship for the Hebrew tribes.

But David was to find out that God was using Him to establish and build a "palace" for His glory but where David was thinking construction, God (in terms of David's role) was thinking people. The construction would come, but not from David.

(4) But that same night the Lord said to Nathan, (5) “Go and tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord has declared: Are you the one to build a house for me to live in? (6) I have never lived in a house, from the day I brought the Israelites out of Egypt until this very day. I have always moved from one place to another with a tent and a Tabernacle as my dwelling. (7) Yet no matter where I have gone with the Israelites, I have never once complained to Israel’s tribal leaders, the shepherds of my people Israel. I have never asked them, “Why haven’t you built me a beautiful cedar house?”’

(8) “Now go and say to my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies has declared: I took you from tending sheep in the pasture and selected you to be the leader of my people Israel. (9) I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have destroyed all your enemies before your eyes. Now I will make your name as famous as anyone who has ever lived on the earth!...

...“‘Furthermore, the Lord declares that he will make a house for you—a dynasty of kings! (12) For when you die and are buried with your ancestors, I will raise up one of your descendants, your own offspring, and I will make his kingdom strong. (13) He is the one who will build a house—a temple—for my name. And I will secure his royal throne forever. (14) I will be his father, and he will be my son. If he sins, I will correct and discipline him with the rod, like any father would do. (15) But my favor will not be taken from him as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from your sight. (16) Your house and your kingdom will continue before me for all time, and your throne will be secure forever.’” ~2 Samuel 7:4-9, 11-16

I take a few things away from this amazing exchange between God and David (and spoken through the prophet Nathan):

In everything we have to inquire of the Lord. David wanted to bless God by building him a rich palace, but even in worshiping Him, God had a better plan and a specific role in mind for David...and also (eventually) for his son, Solomon.

God has specific roles for us too, but we must inquire of Him and defer to Him. We might have the money to do/give, but perhaps (like David), he wants to use our influence with others for His glory instead of just our money, or in addition to our money.

Or maybe we are the "builder". If God has placed an idea/a dream/a ministry in our hearts, then may we get busy with it and glorify Him as we build and with what we build.

Perhaps we are a Nathan to someone. Sometimes we need other believers to help us understand and discern what God is saying. There are times when God speaks right to our hearts, but there are times when He speaks right to us through others. May we listen for God's wisdom, and may we (carefully) administer it when we feel led in this manner.

David "built a house for the Lord" out of the faith restored, Godly obedience and the undivided hearts of the Israelites and himself.

The brick-and-mortar construction came later through David's son, Solomon, but the groundwork that David laid was essential.

People or projects...or both...Whatever "groundwork" we are doing today for God's glory is essential too. We might not see the results for decades, or perhaps (like David)...never.

But that doesn't make our efforts today any less critical.

Blessings, 

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991