Corona Devo 804

I almost stepped on a toad this morning, because he was blending in so well with what was around him.

Sometimes, it's just better to blend in--for the sake of Jesus.

For sure, we are called to be bold in our faith and to have a voice for the Kingdom, but the wisest sons and daughters of the King also know when to hold their tongue, their opinion, even their normal routine---if it blesses another.

But--can not doing/saying/eating/drinking something actually make-a-difference to someone?

The Bible says, "Yes".

Depending on the situation--we must discern what to do and what not to do out of the love of Jesus--we must learn to blend in for Him.

Paul, the author of the Book of Romans does a much better job than me in explaining "the blend". See if you can catch (and live!) what he means by 'blending in' for the Kingdom of God:

So let’s stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall.

(14) I know and am convinced on the authority of the Lord Jesus that no food, in and of itself, is wrong to eat. But if someone believes it is wrong, then for that person it is wrong. (15) And if another believer is distressed by what you eat, you are not acting in love if you eat it. Don’t let your eating ruin someone for whom Christ died. (16) Then you will not be criticized for doing something you believe is good. (17) For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (18) If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too. (19) So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up.  (20) Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food.   ~Romans 14:13-20

It's an interesting idea, but do we understand it?  

Can abstaining from food or drink (or criticism/or anything) actually make a difference in our walk with the Lord or in the advancement of others in their journey toward Him?

Yes. 

The "in-law" side of my family "blends" for me, and I know that it is a sacrifice they willingly make to love me, even though I have never asked.  

I know and am convinced on the authority of the Lord Jesus that no food, in and of itself, is wrong to eat. (Romans 14:14). Yep--I know that too. I rationally and intellectually know that we are able and allowed to eat or drink anything that we like without judgment from God. But, because I am human and sin has tainted our experiences, I am also (illogically) vehemently against alcohol consumption. The fact that alcoholism runs rampant in my family and my memories has everything to do with that. It shouldn't bother me when people that I care about consume alcohol. I realize that it does not bother Jesus. I also realize that Jesus drank wine.

But I also realize exactly what these verses are alluding to when they say: But if someone believes it is wrong, then for that person it is wrong. (15) And if another believer is distressed by what you eat, you are not acting in love if you eat it. Don’t let your eating ruin someone for whom Christ died. (Romans 14:14-15).

Would/does someone's drinking ruin me? It's hard to explain, and I'm not even completely sure I can...but Yes.

And so, when my extended family "blends in" and chooses to abstain when they are around me...I realize that they are not-doing it out of love. They love me enough not to make me uncomfortable by doing something that might put me ill-at-ease. Out of their love of Jesus--they are blending in for Him (and for me), and I am grateful.

Just as the verse says, they have seen beyond the immediate situation to realize that the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (18) If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too. (19) So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up.  (20) Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food.  Remember, all foods are acceptable, but it is wrong to eat something if it makes another person stumble. (21) It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything else if it might cause another believer to stumble.  

(22) You may believe there’s nothing wrong with what you are doing, but keep it between yourself and God.  ~Romans 14:17-22

The Bible is So GOOD, isn't it?  So spot-on!  It is completely true that (in this example) there’s nothing wrong with what you are doing (Romans 14:22).  Drinking is not illegal (if of-age), immoral (if done responsibly), sinful and most would say that there is nothing wrong with it, and they would be right.  

But, because it causes me to stumble, my loved ones choose to 'blend in'.  And God tells us to do the same.  Don't brag about it, don't complain about it, don't criticize those with the struggle.  Just keep it between yourself and God (Romans 14:22).  (His words, not mine).

Sometimes, it's just better to blend in for Him. The wisest sons and daughters of the King know when to hold their tongue, their opinion, even their normal routine---if it blesses another on their journey to Jesus.

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991