Devotional 811

I remember that I was in the college dining hall getting lunch one day when I was "tapped" by an upperclassman for Lambda Sigma Honor Society (a national honor society for second year students--focusing on leadership, scholarship, fellowship, and the spirit of service among college students and their campus).  

I was excited, caught-off-guard, honored, and scared.  I admired the older students that I knew in this group but I wasn't sure that I was ready to step up and become one.

But, I had been tapped, and it was time.

~~~

My first contractions for our first child woke me up at 5:18 AM almost 16 years ago.  While I had (previously) dreamed of becoming a mom...at this moment I was excited, caught-off-guard, honored, and scared, and I wasn't sure that I was ready to step up and actually become one.

But, I had been tapped, and it was time.

~~~

Elijah was an older prophet of God and his years of service to the Lord were coming to a close.  Then the Lord told him (I Kings 19:15) that it was time for him to pass-the-torch and "tap" his successor, and anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from the town of Abel-meholah to replace you as my prophet.  

So Elijah went and found Elisha son of Shaphat plowing a field. There were twelve teams of oxen in the field, and Elisha was plowing with the twelfth team. Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak across his shoulders and then walked away. (20) Elisha left the oxen standing there, ran after Elijah, and said to him, “First let me go and kiss my father and mother good-bye, and then I will go with you!”  ~I Kings 19:16, 19-20

Judging by Elisha's response, he may have been excited, caught-off-guard, honored, and scared.  As a man-of-God, he must have known and admired Elijah as a prophet, but Elisha's request/delay suggests that he might not have been sure that he was ready to step up and become one.

But, he had been tapped, and it was time.

Elijah replied, “Go on back, but think about what I have done to you.”

(21) So Elisha returned to his oxen and slaughtered them. He used the wood from the plow to build a fire to roast their flesh. He passed around the meat to the townspeople, and they all ate. Then he went with Elijah as his assistant.  ~I Kings 19:20-21

At first, Elisha hesitated.  He wanted to say goodbye and wrap-things-up, but the Lord does not (generally) work that way.  He will tap us, and he is looking for immediate obedience as we follow Him.

Sure, we will feel excited, caught-off-guard, honored, and scared, but when we sense/feel/experience the Lord's "tap" on us, it is time to follow Him.

Elijah symbolically threw his jacket (cloak) over Elisha's shoulders--signifying a changing-of-the-guard or a passing-down of the tradition of being God's prophet.  

You or I might not have known what that cloak meant, but Elisha knew.  

And Elisha hesitated, but only for a moment.  He loved his father and mother, as we all do, but Elisha loved His Lord more.  And in a perfect "first move" as God's prophet, Elisha sacrificed the oxen that moments ago were his livelihood.  Because now Elisha was leaving his former life to live fully in God's service.  Elisha even shared the moment and the meat with the townspeople, letting them in on his life-decision and sharing in that special moment with them.  

Elisha had been tapped, and it was time.

~~~~

How about us?  

The Lord has tapped each one of us to serve Him, but what is our response?

Are we excited? Caught-off-guard?  Honored?  Scared?  Maybe a little of each?

Perhaps (like me with Lambda Sigma), we see and admire the seasoned Christians, but we are not sure that we are ready to step up and become one.

Feel the Lord throw a cloak across our shoulders today and "tap" us with His Word (The Bible).  

We've been "tapped", and it is time.

Perhaps some of us are still "kissing our father and mother good-bye", so-to-speak.  We are not quite ready to leave the comfortable situations/sins/people/luke-warm faith that we have become very accustomed to.  

But chew on Elijah's words for a moment (“Go on back, but think about what I have done to you.”as he verbalizes what we know to be true about God's call (and sovereignty) on our lives...will we answer the call/role that the Lord Almighty has "tapped" us to fulfill for His glory?

The answer to that question is a personal choice for each one of us, and we may be excited, caught-off-guard, honored, and scared...But make no mistake--we have been tapped, and it is time.

Metaphorically speaking, may each of us return to his oxen and slaughter them todayMay each of us use the wood from the plow to build a fire to roast it and then share it with the townspeople. (I Kings 19: 19-20).

Let us leave our former lives and submit fully to the service of our Lord.  May we share the news and the celebration feast with everyone, and then let's step up and into our roles for Christ. 

We have most definitely been tapped, and it is time.

Don't turn down God's tap.


Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991