Corona Devo 999

I do love the turkey of Thanksgiving Day, but there is something I love even more than the meat carved from that bird: turkey noodle soup.  

As you can guess from its name, it is just like chicken noodle soup, but I might argue that it is even better.  

The overall idea of making soup from the Thanksgiving turkey remains after the meat has been carved came to me originally from my mother-in-law, who taught me to boil the cooked carcass, and then strain the broth...and you are left with a delicious base for turkey noodle soup.  There is quite a bit of meat that will soften up and fall off of the bones from the boil, and when you add some carrots and celery and serve hot over noodles...viola!  

I love to make soups, but this is my favorite one all year.

But not just because of the flavor and soul-warming effect that it gives...but also because I feel like I am being a good steward of the turkey when I stretch it into a big pot of soup.

Just carving the meat and serving those gathered around our table for Thanksgiving is good, and we keep our hearts and an empty chair open at the table for anyone that needs "family" to eat with that day.  

But investing the "remains" of the turkey and earning it into a big potful of tummy-filling lunch or supper for my tribe and others feels great.  Like I am taking what I have been given and making even more out of it.  Being a good steward can take many forms.  

Jesus gives us another example in Matthew Chapter 25 with the parable of the talents.

“Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. (15) He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip" (Matthew 25:14-15).

While the master was gone, the first guy (with five bags of silver) invested the money, and earned five more.

The second guy (with two bags of silver) "went to work and earned two more" (Matthew 25:17).

 "But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money.  

(19) “After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. (20) The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more... (21) “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’    

(22) “The servant who had received the two bags of silver came forward...  (23) “The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’  

(24) “Then the servant with the one bag of silver came and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a harsh man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate. (25) I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth. Look, here is your money back.’  

(26) “But the master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy servant! If you knew I harvested crops I didn’t plant and gathered crops I didn’t cultivate, (27) why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.’  

(28) “Then he ordered, ‘Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one with the ten bags of silver. (29) To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away. (30) Now throw this useless servant into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’  ~Matthew 25:14-30

~~~

We have each been given many more-valuable gifts, talents, and resources beyond a Thanksgiving turkey.  Going a step-further than using the just-the-meat and making a pot of soup to share is good, but how can we move into being great stewards of our:

  • time
  • finances
  • expertise
  • homes
  • gifts/talents
  • faith

Because, it does matter, or else Jesus would not have shared this parable with His followers.  And we are His followers.

We want to be in the group that will celebrate with our Lord one day, don't we?  (“The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’  ~Matthew 25:23).

Lord, please help us to be good stewards of the gifts You have blessed us with.  Help us to move from good to great in terms of being wise and ingenuitive with how we can propel Your Word, hope and Kingdom further today than we did yesterday.  Father, open our eyes to fresh ways that we can invest what you've given us, and all for Your glory.  Amen.

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991