Corona Devo 1035

Sitting by the pool the other day, I saw a lady with a tiny bikini on.  As she paraded around, I noticed a big gold cross dangling from the chain around her neck.  She was very scantily clad, she was very clearly out-and-about only to be seen by others, and yet she also must have (in some way) felt that she was accurately representing God or Jesus that day.

I raised a spiritually-critical eyebrow as I took her in one more time, and just as I was thinking some not-so-nice-thoughts about her, I had a very convicting not-so-nice thought about me: she is me.  She’s us.


“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. (2) For you will be treated as you treat others.  The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.  (3) “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? (4) How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? (5) Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.  ~Matthew 7:1-5


~~~


How often (even now and today?) do we plan/prep and invest time/thought/ and energy into the “display” of us and our lives that we want people to view?  We are painfully purposeful about our image, our reputation, our posts and our facades, but where is Jesus in all of that?


How often do we then “tack” on a physical (cross necklace/Bible verse t-shirt), verbal (I’ll keep you in prayer”), or even a physical (Bible study or serving at church) activity...but are these merely “spiritual adornments” that we have placed around our proverbial necks, without the true faith-hunger and dedication-to-God to back them up?


The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! (12) I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’  

(13) “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ (14) I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”  ~Luke 18:11-14


~~~


Has our devotion to the Lord become polluted by us?  


Has our hunger for the Lord been swapped with a hunger for ourselves? 


Has our joy for the Lord become superficial? 


“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and self-indulgence! (26) You blind Pharisee! First wash the inside of the cup and the dish, and then the outside will become clean, too.  ~Matthew 23:25-26 


~~~


I want to be accurately representing God and Jesus today, don’t you?


Let’s not be “all-show”.  Let’s be authentic and all-in for the Almighty today.  

Let’s not be “me-focused”, but Him-focused today.

Let’s be clothed-in-Christ rather than scantily-clad in the world's ways.    


A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. (11) Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil...(13) Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 
(14) Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 
(15) For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. 
(16) In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.
(17) Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.  ~Ephesians 6:10-11, 13-17

~~~

Maybe the woman by the pool was just a woman by the pool, but perhaps the Lord was using her to convict us of our superficial service-to and representation-of Him.  


You won’t catch me in a bikini these days, but some days you might glimpse the glitter of God in my life, without much faith-substance underneath it.  There are times when I dangle my faith around my "neck" in habit or routine, but my priorities/attitudes/words/responses will reveal other motives besides God.


Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love.  Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. (2) Wash me clean from my guilt.  Purify me from my sin. (3) For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night.  (4) Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight.  ~Psalm 51:1-4


~~~


Lord, help us to accurately represent You today and may our desire for You and in serving You be authentic.  Amen.



Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991