Corona Devo 1150

We watched a show the other day, and in the first scene they introduce an older-adult brother and sister who live together.  The (strict) sister is talking and talking and talking.  She asserts her one-way opinion on the day/their homelife/and the world around them, as her (silent) brother sits there patiently.  As she states her self-declared "laws", she doesn't invite her brother's opinion or thoughts, and she seems completely unaware (and uninterested) of the possibility that his-say might (also) matter.

My eyes nervously glance around my living room wondering if anyone in my family is looking at me because I AM LOOKING AT ME. 

This woman is me at times with my husband, with my kids, and with others.

Haughty eyes, a proud heart, and evil actions are all sin.  ~Psalm 21:4

Haughty: having or showing an attitude of superiority and contempt for people or things perceived to be inferior (Merriam Webster).

A proud heart: considering our opinion, our preference, our "way" to be the superior way, the correct way, or the only way.

Does it really matter if we (sometimes) look upon others that do-things/say-things/choose-things  differently than us...as less than us?  

God's Word says that it does matter, and He is looking at us.
 
Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.  ~Proverbs 11:2

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.  ~Proverbs 16:18

The Lord tears down the house of the proud, but he protects the property of widows.  (26) The Lord detests evil plans, but he delights in pure words.  
(27) Greed brings grief to the whole family, but those who hate bribes will live.  
(28) The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking; the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words. 
 (29) The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayers of the righteous.  
(30) A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health.  
(31) If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.  
(32) If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.  
(33) Fear of the Lord teaches wisdom; humility precedes honor.  ~Proverbs 15:25-33

~~~

One of the next scenes in the show introduces the nosy neighbor lady, who (immediately) is easy to dislike.  She invites herself in and plops down to stay, all while laying out the latest gossip about anyone and everyone.  While being waited on and presented with hospitality, she proceeds to blatantly and brashly "share" her opinion, comments, judgment, critiques and criticisms of every idea and person that pops into her mind.  She's ugly--outside and in.

For the second time, my eyes nervously glance around my living room wondering if anyone in my family is looking at me because I AM LOOKING AT ME. 

Haughty eyes, a proud heart, and evil actions are all sin.  ~Psalm 21:4

How I love to share a cup of coffee or tea with a friend, catching up on life, our days, and what God is doing throughout all of it.  But too often when we part ways for the day, I am left with a pit in my stomach of saying too much, saying the wrong thing, or just plain talking too much.  

And when I talk too much--I judge too much, self-praise too much, and my tongue runs away with prideful comments and self-seeking statements: often at the expense of others.  I'm ugly-inside and out.

With their words, the godless destroy their friends, but knowledge will rescue the righteous.  ~Proverbs 11:9

Don’t speak evil against each other, dear brothers and sisters. If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God’s law. But your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you.  ~James 4:11

“Do not spread false reports.  ~Exodus 23:1

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  ~Ephesians 4:29

"Do not go about spreading slander among your people.  Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the LORD."  ~Leviticus 19:16

For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder.  ~II Corinthians 12:20

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.  ~James 1:26

~~~

The (most) redeeming quality of the show is its namesake, Anne, a young girl with difficult life experiences and (yet) a beautiful and joyful heart.  Even though life has been hard to her, she is kind and beautiful, in word, deed and heart.  Inside and out.

As she splashed across the screen and then exited for the first time, my eyes glanced around my living room.  I wished my family was looking at me.  But maybe (with God's help) next time they can.  

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.  ~Proverbs 16:24

Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.  ~Colossians 4:6

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.  ~I Thessalonians 5:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.  ~Proverbs 25:11

~~~

If you are looking for a good show to watch, try Anne with an "E" (Netflix), but watch out--the characters might feel like they have been cast out of our worst traits.  And...with the hope of our best ones.  

God definitely still speaks, and sometimes (apparently) He uses tv characters to mirror our areas of growth.  Like a funhouse mirror, our character can be distorted with pride and haughtiness.  But if we will choose Jesus today, our reflection and inner spirit will become more and more like His image--beautiful inside and out.  

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as [a]by the Spirit of the Lord.  ~II Corinthians 3:18 


Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991