Corona Devo 1210

Do we need reminded today?

A wake-up call? 

A wake-up verse?

A wake-up book? 

I did.

~~~

We rush around, doing, planning, checking-off things, and getting-to-the-next event/level/thing. 

The way many of us live our lives much of the time and many of our days reminds me of my kids playing their video games.  Always trying, striving, working to get to the next level.  But then…you die.

 Do we need reminded today?

“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is.
(5) You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.” 
(6) We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.  We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.
(7) And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.  ~Psalm 39:4-7

~~~

Accomplished but unkind, we can trade production and output for quality time with others, and sometimes we need reminding that the tasks will still-be-there tomorrow, but our people might not be, or we might not be.

I needed reminded.

We rush through life but the totality of each of our lives is but a breath to God.  How are we spending our days?

Do we need reminded of life’s brevity?

I did.

Sometimes we get caught up in the taking care of things, and we forsake the taking care of people.          

Sometimes we treat people like they’ll always be here.  Sometimes we treat ourselves like we’ll always be here. 

Sometimes…(too often), we get caught up and wrapped up and blinded by our “today” and our “right now”, and we miss the big picture of what God is trying to do with us and our lives.

Be reminded today, because we only have a brief time on earth to realize it and to step into it.

How fast does the time go?  Ask our younger selves.  High school doesn’t seem that long ago.  But how in the world are the kids/nieces/nephews/grandkids all-grown-up already

And we can count too-many loved ones whose breath-of-life has come and gone.  Our time is brief

Remind us, Lord.

“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is.
(5) You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.” 
(6) We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.  We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.
(7) And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.  ~Psalm 39:4-7
~~~

I needed reminded, and the moment I read these verses I knew exactly why I was reading these verses.  I was being reminded.  

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is.  ~Psalm 39:4

If we are “stuck” in our today, then God’s Biblical reminder rings through our ears with purpose.  He just might reinforce His teachings in the Bible with popular literature.  

This afternoon, I started re-reading a book I read over twenty years ago.  I remembered that it had made a positive impact on me the first time I read it, and also that it was one of my mom's favorite books. But beyond that, I couldn't remember much more.

As it turns out, my book, Tuesdays with Morrie is Psalm 39:4-6 in-a-nutshell, or in-a-novel, or in-an-uncanny-way of God reminding me in the afternoon of what He had taught me that morning: that our time on earth will be brief.  That our days are numbered.  That life is fleeting.  
(And the book is every bit as good as I had remembered!)

Be reminded today that our time on earth will be brief.

We’re busy with so much, but so much of that “much” has no meaning or lasting value (at all).

We end up wishing our today and the stage-of-life that we are in…away, instead of embracing it, entering into it, and glorifying God fully (and willingly) during it. 

We might need reminding today of how short our earth-sentence (and privilege) is.  We might need reminding that our days are not infinite.  They are, in fact, numbered.  What are we doing with our days?  What are we saying during them, doing throughout them, and who or what are we reflecting throughout them?

Do we need a wake-up call? 

A wake-up verse?

A wake-up book? 

“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is... (7) And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.  ~Psalm 39:4, 7 

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991