Corona Devo 1241

The wisest man that the Bible ever mentions was named Solomon.  He was King David's Son, and while he was born into wealth and many treasures, when God asked Solomon what his heart's desire was...Solomon requested an understanding heart...that I may discern between good and evil (I Kings 3:9)

This request pleased the Lord, and He gave an understanding heart and discernment to Solomon.  

And so, Solomon was wise.  And when you have the gifts of an understanding heart and discernment...you think...a lot.

Solomon mused about some of the very same things that we do.  Solomon wondered.  He pondered.  He questioned.  He lamented.  And God gave him the wisdom to decipher life even as he lived it.  

I picture Solomon laying on a couch at a psychologist's office.  He is sharing his troubles and questions,,,and then (in God's wisdom), he goes on to provide his own answers.  

If we believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16), then we can take Solomon's wisdom as God's, and we can gain an understanding heart and discernment by learning from Solomon.

So pull up a chair...or lie down next to Solomon on the couch.  Relax.  Close your eyes.  And let's find out the meaning of life together.

~~~  

These are the words of the Teacher, King David’s son, who ruled in Jerusalem.  

(2) “Everything is meaningless,” says the Teacher, “completely meaningless!”  

(3) What do people get for all their hard work under the sun? (4) Generations come and generations go, but the earth never changes. 

(5) The sun rises and the sun sets, then hurries around to rise again.... (7) Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full. Then the water returns again to the rivers and flows out again to the sea. 

(8) Everything is wearisome beyond description. No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content.  

(9) History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new. 

(11) We don’t remember what happened in the past, and in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now.  

(16) I said to myself, “Look, I am wiser than any of the kings who ruled in Jerusalem before me. I have greater wisdom and knowledge than any of them.” (17) So I set out to learn everything from wisdom to madness and folly. But I learned firsthand that pursuing all this is like chasing the wind.    (Ecclesiastes 1:1-5, 7-9, 11, 16-17)

(1) I said to myself, “Come on, let’s try pleasure. Let’s look for the ‘good things’ in life.” But I found that this, too, was meaningless. 

(3) After much thought, I decided to cheer myself with wine. And while still seeking wisdom, I clutched at foolishness. In this way, I tried to experience the only happiness most people find during their brief life in this world.  

(4) I also tried to find meaning by building huge homes for myself and by planting beautiful vineyards... 

(8) I collected great sums of silver and gold, the treasure of many kings and province. I hired wonderful singers, both men and women, and had many beautiful concubines. I had everything a man could desire!  

(10) Anything I wanted, I would take. I denied myself no pleasure. 

I even found great pleasure in hard work, a reward for all my labors. 

(11) But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless—like chasing the wind. There was nothing really worthwhile anywhere.  

(17) So I came to hate life because everything done here under the sun is so troubling. Everything is meaningless—like chasing the wind.  

(18) I came to hate all my hard work here on earth, for I must leave to others everything I have earned. (19) And who can tell whether my successors will be wise or foolish? Yet they will control everything I have gained by my skill and hard work under the sun. How meaningless! 

(20) So I gave up in despair, questioning the value of all my hard work in this world.  

(21) Some people work wisely with knowledge and skill, then must leave the fruit of their efforts to someone who hasn’t worked for it. This, too, is meaningless, a great tragedy. 

(22) So what do people get in this life for all their hard work and anxiety? (23) Their days of labor are filled with pain and grief; even at night their minds cannot rest. It is all meaningless.  

(24) So I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. 

Then I realized that these pleasures are from the hand of God. (25) For who can eat or enjoy anything apart from him?  (26) God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him.  ~Ecclesiastes 2:1, 3-4, 8, 10-11-26

~~~

That was a long "session" with Solomon, but many of his questions and dissatisfactions and longings are ours too.  

And...his conclusion can be ours also.  His wise, discerning, and heart-of-understanding conclusion:  

Even so, I have noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat, drink, and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life. (19) And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God. (20) God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past.  ~Ecclesiastes 5:18-20


Blessings, 

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991