Corona Devo 1337

They found him on the other side of the lake and asked, “Rabbi, when did you get here?”  

(26) Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs. (27) But don’t be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval.”  

(28) They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?”  
(29) Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”  ~John 6:25-30

Jesus had just fed 5,000 people with only five loaves and two fish, and the people wanted to know how He was doing this holy work?  

They also wanted to know how they could perform God's works, too?  
"What should we do?” (John 6:28).

It's a (spiritually) gutsy question, isn't it?  And it could be taken a few different ways.  (1) They were interested in the glory, attention and awe that Jesus (rightly) received in doing His Father's work, or (2) They had been impacted by Jesus and they were energized, empowered, on-fire to take part in His work.  

That's where God hopes our hearts are today (“We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?”  ~John 6:28), and He has an answer for us.

~~~

The answer that Jesus gave was not to memorize a list of laws, or to perform a certain number of rites.  

There is only one specific "work" that God the Father and His Son require: Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”  (John 6:29).  

And, as if Jesus knew us well-enough (because He does!) to know that we would try and make our faith about works and outcomes--He tells us His one rule a number of times in Scripture, including:  

Acts 16:31  - They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, along with everyone in your household.” 

Romans 10:9-11 - If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (10) For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. (11) As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”

John 11:25-26 - Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; (26) and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

~~~

We want a spiritual work-out routine to follow.  A step by step, daily guide on "how to serve God" and get results.  

But Jesus (tells us)“This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”  (John 6:29).  

And when we believe...when we read God's Word (the Bible), and let it sink into our lives...
When we talk to the Lord (pray), and let Him lead us...
When we follow His example of loving others and living His truth...
We are performing God’s works, too (John 6:28).

~~~

A few days ago, I chatted with an acquaintance.  I knew her, but not well.  However, this time, after we parted, my heart was warmed.  We had connected.  I had gotten to know her a little better, and it just felt different.  Later that day, I even shared with my family about what a nice person (I had realized) she was.  This past interaction had been different, warm, and a sweet time for me.

But, I had no idea that I had been performing God’s works until a few days later when I received her text: 

...I have to share something with you... Last Thursday, while you were here, my dad had passed away and I didn't know it. But something you said stuck with me. Before you left, you told me "God's got you" and I keep reverting back to those words. Almost as if God wanted you to say that to me because of what had just transpired. And those words have gotten me through this past week... 

We want to perform God’s works.  We wonder...we ask..."What should we do?”  

But the works are God's.  
Our work is believing in the one he has sent.  

He'll do the rest.

~~~

They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?”  
(29) Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”  ~John 6:28-29

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991