Corona Devo 1456

Have we ever been a part of God's plan, but we didn't know it at the time?  

In His sovereignty, God directed our steps/words/prayers, or all of them...and it was all for His glory, but we had no idea?

~~~

I shared in my monthly story-reading at our city nursing home a couple weeks back.  One of my "regulars" was not gathered, and although he is almost non-verbal, I missed him.  His eyes smile bigger than anyone's I know.  When he does speak, it takes time, but he has a wonderful sense of humor.  And whenever I pray with him, he cries, but I know it's not because he is sad, it's just because his emotions tumble out without the control that you and I have.  

But where was he?, I asked the activities director, and her face clouded as she told me that he had been sick with pneumonia and because of swallowing difficulties, they had put a feeding tube in.  

Yeesh!  That would take me out of story-hour too, but I found him in his room after I was done.  

Although visibly sad (Sick? Pain?), his eyes smiled when I popped my head in.  He seemed to want to tell me something, and I thought it might be about the feeding tube, which he seemed to gesture towards at his side. 

I lamented with him about the pain of that, and seeing his sorrowful eyes, I prayed with him, reminding him that he is never alone.  God is always in that room with him, and he is near to us, near to him.  That God loves him so much.  And I prayed for him not to be afraid and for the pain to be relieved.  

When I opened my eyes, his eyes and mouth were open and crying.  But there was no anger, shame, or guilt in his eyes (in regards to our prayer), more of just an embracing.  This is how he always received our times of prayer.  

That day I had brought scented lotions for the residents to choose from and keep (a Christmas gift from my husband for me to give out to my "friends" at the nursing home.)  I chattered as I picked one that I told him was "nothing flowery or feminine", and I rubbed some gently on his forearm.

I'd never done (anything like) this before, but my heart hoped that although he could not move his extremities or (now) have the capability to eat, perhaps the scent would calm him, or bring him scented-proof of God's presence and love for him.

He seemed appreciative.

Then (although I hated to) I had to go.  He was so sad, even though I said, "I'll see you soon.".  

The next day I went back, running an errand for another resident, and I wanted to see him, but his door was closed, and by the time I finished with my other friend, there just was not time for me to stop in.  

But that night, (for reasons I couldn't explain) I was disturbed for him, and drawn into heavy-prayer on his behalf.  

The next day I stopped back in to visit him...but my friends told me that he had died the day before.

~~~

Have we ever been a part of God's plan, but we didn't know it at the time?  

In His sovereignty, God directed our steps/words/prayers, or all of them...and it was all for His glory, but we had no idea?

~~~

Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him...  ~James 5:14

 ...and seeing his sorrowful eyes, I prayed with him...

...anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord...  ~James 5:14

...That day I had brought scented lotions...and I rubbed some on his forearm.

(15) and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.  ~James 5:15

...reminding him that he is never alone.  God is always in that room with him, and he is near to us, near to him.  

But that night...I was disturbed for him, and drawn into heavy-prayer on his behalf.  

~~~~

I've cried a number of times over my "friend's" passing.  I really did not see it coming at all.

But God did.  He sees everything.  He orchestrates everything, even when we have no idea (at all) what is going on.   

In His sovereignty, God directs our steps/words/prayers, or all of them...and it is all for His glory.

I believe my friend is now in Glory...

Not wanting.

Lying down in green pastures and resting beside still waters and fully restored.

He walked through the valley of the shadow of death but I pray that he did not fear evil and that he knew God was with him.

And I pray that he's now dwelling in the house of the Lord Forever.

~~~

(1)The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  

(2) He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.  

(3) He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. 

(4) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 

(5) You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.  

(6) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.  ~Psalm 23:1-6

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991