Corona Devo 1635

Have you ever made seven-layer Jello?  It's not at all difficult, but it does take some time to make, usually a couple of days.  Each layer (Jello and water, or Jello/water/evaporated milk) must be made and then poured into a 9x13 pan separately, and then given time to set until firm, before the next layer can be added.  It is a process, for sure, but when you are finished, it looks beautiful, even perfect.  Seven-layer Jello is a gorgeous dessert or side dish.

And when I made my seven-layer Jello earlier this week, it looked perfect, until one of my family members lifted it out of the refrigerator to serve to our guests...and it wasn't perfect.  

But it's a farce to pretend that even something that looks perfect...really is.

Looks can be deceiving, and so can photos, stories, expectations, assumptions, and even devotionals.  None of us are perfect, and least of all me.  Least of all, me.  

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.   ~I Timothy 1:15

But still...Christ Jesus came...to save us anyway.

Don't be fooled by the "look" of others' lives: we all struggle and have imperfections.  Only Christ was perfect.  

We cannot fall into prideful positions of fooling ourselves into self-righteousness or apathy toward God's call and commands.  

We all have work to do, and even the best things we accomplish for the Lord are still marred by mortal shortcomings.  Only God is truly good.

As for God, his way is perfect:  The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.  ~Psalm 18:30

But--Did we catch the little hidden "extra" in this verse?  It focuses on GodHis way is perfect, and His word flawless.  (Such great language!)  But God doesn't put a period on the sentence after His holiness, He keeps right on speaking us into the equation with Him.  

He is holy and his way is perfect, but He's made a way, and He wouldn't have it any other way, than to include us with Him.  (...He shields all who take refuge in him.  ~Psalm 18:30). 

It's wild, really: God's way-of-thinking and loving us.  It's counter-cultural, undeserved, and unexplainable, and yet, since He created men and women, God has been inviting us (in our imperfections) into communion with Himself in His perfection.

Our lack highlights His luster.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (10) That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  ~II Corinthians 12:9-10

We can fool some of the people some of the time, but we can never fool God.  Our jobs/kids/marriages/families/achievements/finances/photos/stories can look great, perfect even.  But all of us, like sheep, have gone astray. 

We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.  ~Isaiah 53:6

Forgive us, Father, for falling short of Your glory.  We're sorry, Lord, for the times when we seek to appear perfect, but meanwhile we are anything but.  We are marred.  Even our greatest efforts fall short of what you deserve.

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags...  ~Isaiah 64:6

Please forgive us, Lord, for superficial spirituality.  We are ashamed Lord, when our human-ness wears through and is evidenced instead of Your holiness.  We're just not worthy of Your perfection, Father.  Why in the world would You still want us?

Because You, our Holy King, are not of this world. 

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”  ~I Samuel 16:7

We ALL fall short of You, Father, but You don't leave us in our shortcoming.  Your love, Your sacrifice, Your grace is always attached to Your acceptance and invitation to us.  

...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (24) and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.  ~Romans 3:23-24

~~~

None is righteous, no, not one (Romans 3:10).  We are all imperfect, but You love us and open Your arms to us anyway.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. (13) Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.

(14) The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.  

(15) Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. (16) But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 

(17) Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.  ~I Timothy 1:12-17

We are (most certainly) not perfect.  But our Lord and Savior is.  He is seven-layers (and then some) of perfect.  He is good, and He invites us to share in His goodness today.

Taste and see that the Lord is good...  ~Psalm 34:8

Blessings,

sarah

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1156

Corona Devo 1217

Corona Devo 991