Corona Devo 3243
One of my favorite things to prepare for a trip (airplane or car) is the snack bag(s). If we are going on a flight, I like to pack little (person-specific) bags, filled with goodies and small things that cannot be opened by the recipient until we are in-flight.
I love the “aha” or “ooooh” moment when they open their bags and are blessed…by me.
In the car, the snack bag that I prepare always grows larger than it should with sweet treats, salty items, and homemade goodies that
I hope will “hit the spot” with one of our car members. I want to bless them, but (if I am honest), I also want to be seen as a blessing.
Our latest car trip was no different. Popcorn and peanuts, chex mix, and homemade
tropical-fruit scones with orange glaze (can you tell that I am proud of them?)
were tucked in my snack bag, ready to rescue the hungry at any mile-marker of
our trip. I was especially excited to “reveal”
the scones, and I hoped others would be wowed by them.
Fast forward to about thirty-minutes into our car ride when
we realized that we forgot the snack bag.
Did I mention that this (particular) car trip was in transit
to a Bible study retreat/conference?
- The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. ~Proverbs 16:5
- Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. ~Proverbs 16:18
Something struck my spirit almost immediately upon understanding that we had left the food bag at home…the Lord wanted me to leave my pride at home.
I awaited the praise of people upon their ingestion of my treats.
I…
I…
I…
Do you see a person wise in their own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for them. ~Proverbs 26:12
I had gotten off track, and (I believe) the Lord was
putting me back on track, as I journeyed the miles toward a weekend with Him.
I was attempting to kick off my (faith weekend) trip with intentions of self-applause, even though I was headed to worship my Lord and Savior who deserves all of the applause. God was right: I had to get my pride out of the way.
In his pride the wicked man does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. Psalm 10:4
It is not wicked to bring snacks on a trip, but are we seeking the favor of praise of people today instead of seeking to praise God today?
Am I now seeking the favor of people or of God? Or am I striving to please people? If I were still trying to gain the approval of people, I would not be a servant of Christ. ~Galatians 1:10
Lord, we LOVE You.
We seek You earnestly today. THANK
YOU for clearing away and cleaning out the seeds and sprouts of our pride. Tether us to You before our pride becomes
full-grown and full-blown. We praise You
for Your discipline in loving us back to You, and in fully honoring You above ourselves. Forgive us for falling (so) short sometimes. Amen.
~~~
I happened to be on my way to learn and study the
Bible, but (even without my noticing it), I had inserted my pride and myself into the day.
God can’t have that.
And He won’t…have that.
Or rather, we cannot have intimacy and connection with Him until we
(willingly) remove our pride or our inflated sense of self.
That’s what God was doing (I believe) in leaving my
snack bag at home. This day that I was
entering was about Him, and about glorifying Him, and not
me.
We need to empty ourselves of ourselves before we can sit at His feet, and we don't need to be taking a car-ride to a weekend retreat to realize that.
Jesus Christ is King this day and everyday, no matter where we are.
I was blessed (and excited) to study God’s Word with others , but sometimes we need a reality-check about who we are and Who God is.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. ~I Timothy 1:15
We don’t deserve anything, and yet, God (through His
Son, Jesus Christ), gave us everything.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ~Romans 5:8
It’s often not on purpose or with sinful intent, but too often we place
ourselves and our glory before God and His glory.
We want to please…
We want to serve…
We want to love…
But often the core catalyst of our efforts is: We want to
be pleased. We want to be served. We want to be loved. And the praise and adoration from others
propels our pride…but this will not and cannot lead to good things God
things.
I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, (6) so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting people may know there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is no other. ~Isaiah 45:5-6
We love You, Lord. We seek You, Lord. We seek to glorify You alone, Lord.
Amen.
For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. ~Romans 12:3
~~~
The “aha” and “ooooh” moments today belong to God…not
us. We certainly can love and serve and
surprise others with gifts and treats, but if our offerings become rooted in what
we hope to receive in accolades or praise...then our pride has over-stepped our
purpose.
To God alone be the glory.
Blessings,
sarah


Comments
Post a Comment