Corona Devo 3267

My husband is the gardener. He plants, and waters, and weeds, and dutifully-and-happily loves on his plants day after day, and so when the harvests come in, it's my turn to get busy and make good use of the fruits (and vegetables) of his labor.

Last night it was cucumber time, which meant that it was pickle time.

Turning cucumbers into pickles isn't a difficult process, but as I walked through the recipe and steps, I decided that the ingredients involved with making pickles are unexpected...but essential.

And it made me think of our lives, as we live them in faith for the Lord. We would like to think that following Jesus would be easy: like the cup of sugar that gets poured into the recipe for pickle brine. Wouldn't it be nice if our (faith) life was sweet and easy, all day every day, like sugar?

And sometimes, our faith is.

  • Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.  ~Psalm 34:8
  • Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, (2) but whose delight is in the law of the Lordand who meditates on his law day and night.  ~Psalm 1:1-2
  • Take delight in the Lordand he will give you the desires of your heart.  ~Psalm 37:4

But something that is surprising about pickles is that there is an equal amount of sour (vinegar) that is mixed into the recipe for every amount of sweet. If we need three cups of sugar, then the recipe also calls for three cups of vinegar. The sweet and sour are required in equal amounts in order for the pickle recipe to come out correctly.

I am not suggesting that God doles out our good and bad life experiences on a scale that he tries to keep zeroed out and level, but I think that each of us could testify to the sour situations and seasons in our lives. We have all experienced bitter moments and days in our lives and in our faith.

In knowing and loving the Lord there is sweetness. But there are (absolutely!) also sour and bitter times in our treks of faith.

  • Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, (3) because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  ~James 1:2-3  
  • Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. (13) But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. (14) If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. (15) If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. (16) However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.  ~I Peter 4:12-16  
  • I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. (24) Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. (25) Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, (26) I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. (27) I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. (28) Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. (29) Who is weak, and I do not feel weak?   ~2 Corinthians 11:23-29

Yes--for all of us, the bitter and sour times come.

~~~

I've made pickles before, but I didn't recall that the recipe calls for equal parts of sweetness and bitterness.

It surprised me, but it shouldn't have. Pickle brine needs both. The (sour) vinegar partners with the (sweet) sugar and together they are palatable. Sugar (alone) or vinegar (alone) are not tasty, but together they balance each other out.

We would prefer to live on a beach without a care or responsibility in the world....

But because we have jobs, responsibilities, callings and trials...then when we do get to relax and enjoy life (on any level)--it is sweeter.

The sour and bitter moments make us more grateful for the sweet and savory times.

Could that possibly have been part of God's plan for our lives? I honestly don't know, but it is true of pickle brine...so it could be true for us too.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (7) And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  ~Philippians 4:6-7 

Blessings,

sarah 

https://sarahsundy04.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Devo 1065

Corona Devo 1063

Corona Devo 1064